Technical Group Webinar
The Welding and Joining Processes Technical Group is introducing a Back-to-Basics series of webinars covering a range of topics relevant to welding and its associated activities.
Individual webinars will be discussing a variety of subjects such as how the metallurgy of metals affects their weldability and service performance, the applications and limitations of welding processes, design of welded joints, welding quality assurance and mechanical testing.
Who are the back-to-basics webinars aimed at?
- those with little or no knowledge of welding technology
- those just entering the welding industry
- those wanting to gain an appreciation of the subject
- engineers who feel the need for a refresher
- anyone with an interest in welding
What is the format?
The webinars are informal with ample time for questions and will be around an hour in length, given by a highly qualified professional with extensive experience in the relevant subject.
Back-to-Basics: An Introduction to Steel Metallurgy
This first webinar will be covering:
- some of the fundamental aspects of the metallurgy of carbon steel
- a basic understanding of how a carbon steel achieves its required mechanical properties
- the effects of varying cooling rates
all significant when we consider the parameters that need to be controlled during welding.
The webinar is aimed at those with little or no knowledge of metallurgy and will be kept as simple as possible with ample time for questions and for requesting clarification.
MEET OUR SPEAKER
Eur Ing Eugene Mathers CEng, MSc, Dip IIM, FWeldI, EWE, IWE
Gene has over 40 years industrial experience working in pipeline, power generation, heavy engineering, nuclear and the pressure vessel fabrication industries.
He worked for NEI-International Combustion Ltd. as the company’s Welding and Metallurgy Manager and latterly Quality Manager for some 10 years before joining TWI Ltd in 1991 as Manager, School of Welding Technology. He then moved into the role of Principal Consultant in the Manufacturing Services Group before taking retirement. Since then he has provided a welding engineering consultancy service as a private consultant.FEES
- Professional Members of The Welding Institute: £25 + VAT (£30)
- Industrial Members of TWI: £25 + VAT (£30)
- Non-members: £95 + VAT (£114)
- Retired Members: £25 + VAT (£30)
- Students: £25 + VAT (£30)
- TWI Training School Customers: £70 + VAT (£84)
- TWI Staff - please contact Becki Parratt if you wish to register
Please note that payment must be made before the event in order to receive the joining instructions for the event.
CAN'T MAKE IT ON THE DAY?
If you can't join us on the day, you can still access the recording of the webinar and the presentation by registering ahead of the event.*
*presentation dissemination is dependent on presenter consent.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP (AWeldI) OF THE WELDING INSTITUTE
Registering on this Technical Group webinar as a non-member or a TWI Training Customer gives you full Associate Membership (AWeldI) for one year. To activate your membership, just complete the highlighted fields on the event registration form.
You will also benefit from:
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD)
The Welding Institute awards points towards CPD for delegates attending this webinar. Every hour attendance of an event will earn 2 points towards your continuing professional development.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a certificate of attendance towards your continuing professional development.